Boudin and Cajun Bites
Where Acadian and Cajun cultures merge, some of the most flavorful foods persist. Boudin is a regional specialty found only in Southern Louisiana. This scrumptious treat is traditionally made with pork, rice, seasonings, and various vegetables, such as onions and green peppers. There are many unique recipes because each New Orleans butcher prepares sausage in a different way, so the varieties are endless. Our selection is full of surprises and plenty of interesting twists. Explore our delicacies today to introduce your family and friends to something truly tasty.
Before you purchase, please check out our customer reviews from "real" loyal customers provided by BIZRATE.com.
Each family has their own signature recipe. Some recipes are spicier and others incorporate different meats or flavorings, but the results are always delicious. We offer a wide variety of authentic Cajun boudin in numerous options to suit any appetite. Our traditional sausage selections are filled with crawfish, shrimp, alligator, or exclusive seafood medleys consisting of crawfish tails, catfish, crab, and shrimp. Whether microwaved, steamed, barbecued, or baked, our classic sausages are sure to delight your taste buds. Our pork sausages are made from fresh USDA pork meat mixed with the Holy Trinity of Cajun cooking: onions, celery, and bell peppers. Pork sausages are available in mild, spicy, and smoked varieties.
What is boudin sausage?
Boudin in the Acadiana area of Louisiana mainly refers to boudin blanc. Boudin blanc is the staple boudin sausage in Louisiana. But seafood boudin which contains crab, shrimp, and rice is becoming very popular.
Types of Boudin
- Boudin Blanc is a finely textured white blood sausage. Boudin Blanc sausage is made from pork rice dressing, similar to dirty rice. The dressing is stuffed into pork casings.
- Boudin Rouge is a sausage similar to boudin blanc, but it has pork blood added to it.
- Boudin Balls are a deep fried Cajun variation of boudin blanc that does not use pork casings. The dressing is rolled into a ball, battered, and deep fried.
- Boudin Noir (blood boudin) is blood pudding sausage made of pork tongues, pork blood, pork snouts, onions and various spices.
- Brown Rice Boudin is made from brown rice with taste similar to pork boudin.
- Crawfish Boudin is made with crawfish tail meat and rice. Crawfish boudin is commonly served with cracklins and crackers, and hot sauce.
- Gator boudin is made with alligator meat. Alligator boudin is a rare type of boudin.
- Shrimp Boudin is made like crawfish boudin, combining shrimp with the rice. Makes a great appetizer.
Feel free to share your boudin recipe with us on Facebook. And be sure to check out Cajun Grocers wide selection of other cajun sausage and rice.